Our clients’ detox journey often starts with healthy, nutritional food fresh from our very own garden. Not being too enthusiastic in the beginning, they are usually quite surprised at how delicious our meals are once they dig in. And how much better they feel as the days pass.
Best foods for an addiction detox kickstart
Mother nature really does have all the best cures for what ails us, so we regularly include plenty of dark, leafy greens, garlic, citrus fruits, raw vegetables, seeds, sea vegetables and proteins in our menu to speed up the healing process. Here’s how they work:
- Kales, spinach, Swiss chard, leaf lettuce, parsley and beet greens are known for having a diuretic effect and by incorporating them into our salads, smoothies and omelets, their watery nature helps flush toxins from the body, increasing oxygen content, and purifying the blood. These greens also contain chlorophyll, which rids the body of environmental toxins, heavy metals, herbicides, and pesticides.
- Garlic is known to help remove the build up of pharmaceutical drugs, stress, and toxic inputs by stimulating the liver to produce the detoxification enzymes that help filter toxic residues from the digestive system.
- Citrus foods in juices and large amounts of lemon water are huge powerhouses that contain vast amounts of detoxifying vitamins. They support the liver in its cleansing processes, flushing out toxins and jump-starting the digestive tract with enzymatic processes.
- Raw vegetables help the liver purge toxins during the cleansing process as they are high in naturally occurring sulphur and glutathione. Sulphur helps the liver detoxify harmful chemicals while glutathione is also necessary for healthy immune function and general antioxidant defenses against free radicals.
- A combination of chia, buckwheat, hemp and flax seeds contain rich amounts omega fatty acids, acting as excellent intestinal cleaners and drawing toxins out of the body. They lubricate the intestinal walls, allowing the toxins to be absorbed by the oil, and eliminated by the body.
- Sea vegetables are also amazing cleansers because they are rich in trace minerals and suck up toxins like heavy metals, environmental pollutants and carcinogens in the digestive tract and expelling them from the body.
Removing toxins and focusing on a healthy lifestyle requires a great deal of effort in the beginning. That’s why we focus on boosting that new life with the reintroduction of healthy habits and foods. By using nutrition for the addiction detox kickstart to rid the body of the harmful toxins, we help our clients get back on the road to recovery that much faster.